Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mr. Leon (a favorite customer)

Well, here goes "Blog" number 2.  I promise, I will figure this all out in time...I look at people with nice background and pictures and everything I WANT to learn to do...and I will:)

We have several customers that we call friends here at The Mixing Bowl.  There really isn't a week that goes by lately that I don't get a hug and an "I love you" from a customer that 9 months ago, I may not of known.  You don't know what that means to me.  It tells me that not only are we filling a need of providing a good meal to lot's of families...we are also providing an ear to listen...and you all are doing the same!  And these moments of "coming to pick up supper" are turning into visits that I cherish.

I know I don't always have the time to come out and visit, because we may have lot's of orders to fill and I have to have my hands in something in the kitchen...but our sweet Little Red Head takes good care of you when I can't...I do try to poke my head around the corner and give a wave when I can't come out...I just want you all to know I appreciate each and every one of you.  One customer who I want to share a story about first in this series of stories is Mr. Leon..(.his daughter told me I could talk about him on here):)

Mr. Leon is 92 years old.  He was one of my very first customers I ever had when I opened The Mixing Bowl.  I mean, he was here like the first week.  He is this small, thin, kind, elderly man.  And when he saw a new place opening up for food a few blocks from where he lives..he being the kind of man he is, just had to check us out.  Mr. Leon is not your typical 92 year old man, he drives...every day to Wal-Mart...still has a sharp mind...and can tell you stories of when he was in the war and was in the Phillipines.  He can re-count more at his age than I can at mine!  He comes every Wed.  to see us and pick up dinner for him and his daughter...rain or shine, I know I will see Mr. Leon.  Whenever he comes in...I always go out to greet him, for one, I just love him to death and look foward to what story he is going to tell me this week:) and for two...I just want to give him my attention so he knows how important I think he is....

Well, last week he came in with his picture of himself and his two Veteran brothers that got selected to go on a trip to Washington DC a few years back...they had taken this picture with Bob Dole and Mr. Leon was beaming proud telling me about this honor that he and his brothers had been given.  Did I mention I just love this little man?:)  I had 5 or 6 customers walk in while he was there, and he just sat back in his chair and said "take care of them"...he wanted to wait, cause he wasn't done telling his stories:)  I don't really know what it is about this  little man, but I have just kind of took up with him.  He had a heart attack a few months back and when he started coming back in the store...he told me he felt a little weak, so I would send him home with a banana pudding, or a container of chicken noodle soup...just something.  And those little gestures must of meant more to them than I realized, because last week when he got ready to leave (I told him I better get back to work before the girls tried to fire me. lol) he gave me a hug and said "I love you" and I looked at him and said "Well, I love you too"...and I do.  He said "I know I haven't known you for a long time, but I feel it here (and he touched his heart with his hand)...well, that about brought tears to my eyes. 

I went back in the kitchen and thought about how taking just a few minutes every week with this little old man had made my life a little sweeter, and I think it has for him too.  His daughter told me she would show him this when I wrote it...so Mr. Leon...we love you at The Mixing Bowl.  We feel it in our hearts too!

1 comment: